Thursday, February 08, 2007

Beware the llama spits....

...and he was.


It's true! I am actually in Darwin! In truth it has ended up that I am indeed compelled to remain in this town by the Law! I have been called for Jury duty and after deferring it last year because of work I have been called back and decided to forgo work to undertake it. Easy for full timers, but for freelancers like myself it's madness really.

But it's my civic duty and let's face it; if I don't do it now they will kep chasing me. Amazingly demanding stuff, but an important part of our judicial system. Kinda disturbing too though as you have 12 people from all different walks of life of varying education and background essentially "judging" a person or event.

To their credit; the 11 others on this particular case stayed very focussed and disciplined on the witnesses and gave the court their full attention. I took copious notes, but at the end of day came to realise that i wish i had taken more. Of course I cannot make any mention of the case or anything suffice to say that I found the process very stressful and hope dearly that me or anyone dear to me ever has to stand accused and face a "jury of my peers". Both for the jury and the accuseds' sakes.

I've been told that the beauty of Jurys is that they quite simply tend to get things right more often than not. It just disturbs me that it sometimes relies on 11 angry people and one who believes something and has to face their wrath. At least I am thankful I have not seen 12 Angry Men. Must see it after this is all over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home