Thursday, November 23, 2023

Star crossed lovers!? Romeo and Juliet, Darwin Theatre Company 2023 Directed by Shalom Kaa

Inbox


  Ok I really need to begin this review by stating that in my 20s I was a massive Shakespeare nerd and this was largely due to my mainstage debut being as Ferdinand in Shakespeare's The Tempest; which Darwin Theatre Company put on in the Town Hall Ruins sometime in the 90s (no I am not going to let you guess my age! I was so engrossed in the play that I was able to quote it start to finish; all characters. I was a bit OTT I admit, but this self own admitted; now to Romeo and Juliet, 2023! I also need to point out that due to various things happening in my life I am not going out to see shows as much as I usually do. I was pleased I ventured out for this one!


I'll be honest I was a bit confused by the Space references and I was unsure about the multiverse ideas and where they talk about variations of the story where the characters did not like each other etcetera. Maybe I would understand this with more viewings; but it did not matter! Soon I was immersed in a version of Romeo and Juliet that used Baz Lurhmann's film as the primary source. For me this was ok because Baz Lurhman is my spirit animal and I saw Elvis 9 times and his version of Romeo and Juliet maybe 5 times. While I also loved Zeferelli's earlier film I love that the Lurhman version brought Shakespeare back as a story that young people wanted to know about; it made it contemporary. Kaa does this and then some by bringing in light sabres. It was a gutsy move and I was not sure about it; but before long I was enthralled; in no small part due to the commitment of the performers.

I honestly thought everyone did very well and it is impressive to know that some of the performers were first timers and Eloy Mason only picked up the role of Mercutio in the last week before opening night. Eloy was delightful in the role and carried it out with a subtle charisma that was mysterious and compelling.  All my favourite lines were said and I was very pleased!

image.png Hugh Bond (Capulet) and Eloy in rehearsals.

In a play full of excellent performances, Juliet really stood out for me: Possibly it is because I am a traditional Shakespeare nerd at heart or it was the hint of an English accent (?) Or maybe it was the commitment she brought to the role. I was delighted by the innocence and wonder she manifested and how she was utterly present in the scenes. My favourite lines were said and it was wonderful to see her deliver them!

Swahnnya De Almeida stole the show as  Juliet.  image.png

Hugh Bond was at times chilling and other times charming in his performance of Capulet. Some may be triggered by his angry tirades as they are so convincing. I know I was ! Think, Forrest Whittaker in the Last King of Scotland and or a mafia boss and that is what he manifests in this role. So likeable one minute then abhorrent the next it was a fine juxtaposition of a performance.
image.png Hugh Bond (Capulet)

image.pngPrincess {Escalus Prime} (Sarah Beins); she was a fun new version of the Prince with glam styling and sparkles!

There were many fun reinterpretations of characters including the Princess, who mesmerised every time she appeared on stage. The Apothecary (Robyn Hall) had that delightful edge of someone who possibly samples too many of their wares; her short section was memorable. Out of the minor characters in Baz's version Pete Postlewaite (as the Friar) really stands out. Once I was convinced that this play used that version as their source material I wondered who would play the Friar. I was blown away by Ktima Heathcote (Friar Lawrence). Her command of the text was good and her ability to harness her nervousness into creating a depth in the character was impressive. Postlewaite was my favourite in Luhrmann's version and Heathcote is bound to be a favourite of many who see this version!
image.png Ktima Heathcote (Friar Lawrence)

Early on we are introduced to two beings who seem to be manifesting dark and light; Escalus Minor and Major (?). I was impressed by their ability to speak some lines in perfect unision between lines they spoke severally. They must have practiced a whole lot to get that happening so well. I was delighted to see performers so young being so relaxed and playful in their roles. Like all the cast; they made a character decision and fully committed to it and it leads to a most watchable performance.
image.png
Okay this is really taking a long time and I could write almost forever and I wish I could, as every performer really brought their A game for opening night. Romeo (Michael van Berkel) made the save of the night by picking up his broken shoe and actually using it as a prop for some of his lines. The audience was left wondering if this was actually part of the script! This quick thinking by van Berkel is just what Romeo would have actually done!
image.png Romeo and Juliet in rehearsals

I cannot believe I got this far without mentioning the music. This is what makes this particular version so special and it is what Shalom brought to the table as a singer and performer directing for the first time. Sally Crawford and Tom Pauling were visionary when they decided to choose him to direct this piece for the 50th year since Darwin theatre company was formed. Kaa's flair and pizazz is visible throughout and one wonders whatever will he direct next!!? Another wonderful character was Rosalind who actually sings an original song in the show. Let's hope they put together a soundtrack! In the beginning her non verbal interactions and background actions were a wonderful detail and a superb way to build a character where there were not any lines in the script to do so. Nicely done!
image.png Maili Clark (Rosalind)

Another fine voice was Rachel Alford (Lady Montague) her song at the end was one of my favourites from the Llurman film and it was lovely to see it come out in this piece . Alford executed it magically!
Rachel Alford (Lady Montague)image.png
image.png Leo Sinclair, also brought some lovely harmonies and guitar to the play. He is definitely an upcoming performer to look out for!

The lighting is well put together with some lovely gobot effects creating some marvellous moods and moons and space effects... Often the lighting is unnoticable, which is of course the sign of top theatre notch lighting! 

To think that this was a no budget production is shocking as the costumes are a marvellous addition to the vibe. And thus I have to mention Pip O'Shea (Tybalt). The jacket was utterly over the top and perfect for the peacock that is Tybalt! Pip has the same frenetic energy that John Leguiziamo brought to the role in the film. Another part that was convincing because it was performed with 100 % commitment!

Pip O'Shea (Tybalt)  image.png

One scene that is cut from many versions of this story is the scene where Romeo drags Paris' body in to lay beside Juliet; it is one of my favourites and shows a respect from Romeo for this other man who did truly seem to love Juliet too. I was thrilled that Shalom included it in this version. Samuel Jones-Gallagher (Paris) elicits pathos in a subtle and natural way that really works! 

image.png Samuel Jones-Gallagher (Paris)

With two more shows this week and some next week you have to move fast to go and see it!! See it twice if you can! The price is very reasonable for a performance that has been months in the making with heavy commitment from a big cast of wide age range. I know I missed some characters and I am sorry I loved Benvolio (Joshua Hutchinson), The Nurse (Jo Sinclair and Peter (Justin Zammit). These three are loveable characters who provide a comic break amongst the serious proceedings.  The First Watchman (Kaitlin Guy) was also a cleverly crafted character.


Romeo and Juliet: Star-Crossed Lovers shows 24 and 25 November and 29 November to 2nd December. GO SEE IT!!!

 
All photos from Darwin Theatre Company Facebook.

2 Comments:

At Thu Nov 23, 12:45:00 PM PST, Blogger Nim said...

FIRST PARAGRAPH reposted here:

Ok I really need to begin this review by stating that in my 20s I was a massive Shakespeare nerd and this was largely due to my mainstage debut being as Ferdinand in Shakespeare's The Tempest; which Darwin Theatre Company put on in the Town Hall Ruins sometime in the 90s (no I am not going to let you guess my age! I was so engrossed in the play that I was able to quote it start to finish; all characters. I was a bit OTT I admit, but this self own admitted; now to Romeo and Juliet, 2023! I also need to point out that due to various things happening in my life I am not going out to see shows as much as I usually do. I was pleased I ventured out for this one!

All images are from here: https://www.facebook.com/darwintheatrecompany/

 
At Thu Nov 23, 09:23:00 PM PST, Blogger Nim said...

Just heard that Tom Pauling has passed away. Tom was a real inspiration to me in my early days in Theatre in Darwin. I had the privilege of seeing him perform; he was a delightful and funny MC and a talented and hard working performer. Love to Tessa, Zoe and Fred. This is a huge loss for the Darwin Theatre community. I am thankful Shalom acknowledged Tom's fine work on his opening night speech after Romeo and Juliet. We all collectively sent him our love that night and I hope Tom was comforted by that on his journey. <3

 

Post a Comment

<< Home